Thursday, February 21, 2008

Some people are apparently exempt from insults

Once I worked with this girl who had really bad eczema. Like, REALLY bad. Her skin was all red and dry and looked like one big peeling sunburn. She never really talked about it, but I was impressed that she wore a lot of sleeveless shirts because it represented to me that she was okay with how she looked (pretty rare nowadays for anybody, let alone a girl with an actual condition). Sometimes it got a bit distracting because she would constantly be scratching herself everywhere while she was talking to you.

We got along pretty well, and we'd joke around a lot together. But one day, we were trading friendly barbs, and then she made a comment about my weight (she was a lot skinnier than me). Whoa, I thought. What was I supposed to do? Make a comment about her ECZEMA? That'd be so low of me, right?

I wound up not saying anything. But gosh darn, was I mad at her for putting me in that kind of pickle. Curse my conscience!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lacey Bean said...

I totally would have gone after it. But then probably felt really bad afterwards. Doh!

Mon Feb 25, 12:47:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Laura said...

Can I state that it is hilarious that you put a link to wikipedia's site for Eczema? It's half "I know some of your are dumbasses and don't know this word" and half considerate. Love it.

Tue Feb 26, 05:46:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home